Malta International Airport (MLA)
History, Facts and Overview
The very first aircraft began flying over Malta during the early part of the 1920s and soon after, an airfield was built within the Ta'Qali area, along with further airfields at both Luqa and Hal Far. After World War II, Luqa Airport was the only airfield that remained in good shape and so was developed further into a prominent civilian air hub.
Finally in 1958, after much planning and building work, Malta Airport was finally inaugurated and passenger's numbers steadily increased, particularly when the jet plane era arrived. By the late 1970s, significant improvements were necessary and the airport extended its runway and began renovating its terminal, adding lounge areas and a number of important facilities. However, in 1992, a new, larger and more modern terminal had replaced the building, and just ten years later, Malta International Airport (MLA) was privatised, with shares sold to the general public.
As you would expect, the airport's facilities don't compare with those of the world's biggest airports. However, they are still more than ample and travellers will not be disappointed by either the essential services on offer, or the options available for dining and shopping. The main shops are clustered around the Welcomers' Hall and check-in desks, offering everything from jewellery and perfume, to books and music.
Those looking for refreshments at Malta Airport will find a number of sound choices, such as the Jet Express Food Court and Hard Rock Café on the first level of departures, and the Connections Cafeteria on the ground floor of the Welcomers' Hall. There are no business facilities available at the airport, although the nearby Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel can provide appropriate services for business passengers.